Sunday, February 1, 2009

Joy

There are lots of days when my kids drive me crazy. This was not one of those days. Today, I was very proud to be the mother of Parker, Jack, and Luke.

Parker stood up during sacrament meeting (the family worship service at the church we attend) and I thought he was going to leave the chapel to get a drink of water or something. Instead, he went up to the pulpit and shared his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. (For those who aren't familiar with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have a fast and testimony meeting once a month, usually the first Sunday of the month. Those who are able to fast come to the meeting fasting, and any who feel inspired to do so may share their testimonies.) Parker talked about some chapters in Helaman (in The Book of Mormon) that he read yesterday which pertained to missionary work, and he talked about how he is preparing to someday serve a mission and share the gospel of Jesus Christ. I didn't know he was going to share his testimony -- I don't think he even knew he was going to until he did it -- and I was very proud of him. He is such a good boy and he has such a strong desire to do what is right. He is a very good example to his younger brothers.

Then, in Primary (the children's worship service), Jack gave a talk on the importance of families and how families are ordained of God. He wrote the talk out in his own handwriting (he has excellent penmanship -- Tim says Jack's is neater than his) and he did such a nice job. Sometimes Jack can be a little silly, but he was very serious when giving his talk today. I was very proud of him.

And then there's Luke. He is 3 1/2, so obviously there are days when I don't know what to do with him. But today, he tried very hard to sit in Primary and be a good boy. It's hard for the little Sunbeams (the name of the class for the 3-year-olds) to sit still for that last hour of church, but Luke is getting better and better at it every week.

The feelings I had today about my boys reminded me of a scripture from the Third Epistle of John 1:4, which says, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

I recognize that Tim and I have a huge responsibility to teach our children the gospel in our home and teach them right from wrong. I pray that they will continue to choose the right long after they leave our home and go out on their own to forge their way in the world. I pray that they will continue to walk in truth.

4 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

I am such a proud aunt. Tears over here...I love you guys. Thanks for starting this blog. What a fantastic way for us out of staters to hear about the fam. Not to mention you're keeping a rockin' journal: )
kisses***

mommatree said...

I have to brag... I got to witness all three Suorsa boys at their best today! I too am a proud "adopted" aunt. Parker is definetly a young man now...so sure of himself as he spoke what of what he read, and what he wants to accomplish becuase of the examples found in the scriptures. A very good example for all of the old and young of our ward. Jack leads the way for my boys in many ways...what to wear, cool playstation games, and yes how to give a great talk. Nate was excited to give the prayer after Jack's talk. BUt Logan is a little nervous to give the talk next week. Jack will have to give him some pointers! And yes little Lukie, very brave in the big primary world! Yet, he still doesn't understand why Daddy can't give him a piggy back ride while on crutches. You have an awesome family Luisa. Hard as it is, and as many trials as we have, we have our family and each other to lighten the load. Us Mom's have to stick together. You are a dear friend whom I cherish.

Luisa said...

My boys have the best biological and adopted aunts that anyone could hope for. :-) And I have the best sisters (biological, in-law, and adopted). I hope my boys will always be good examples for their younger cousins. (Logan can come practice his talk over here anytime this week! Jack's pointer will be, "Just read it loudly and slowly so that everyone can understand you," since that's what I told him about a hundred times when he was practicing.)

Jessica Waters said...

Ahhh I am crying here. . . I want to be there. Jack is still available for marriage right??
I miss you all so much. I can't believe my little Parker is up front bearing his testimony and preparing for his mission. What great parents you are. You're boys will be amazing men. Love you!