Thursday, February 5, 2009

Costumes
















I've been going through the pictures on our computer and I came across several pictures of the kids wearing costumes. Like I've mentioned, I have not been very good at journaling over the last 15 1/2 years, so I am now playing catch up. This blog is most likely also going to end up being a scrapbook of sorts, because (let's be honest here) I am probably never going to scrapbook.

Parker and his best friend, Daniel, were luchadores for Halloween when they were in 6th grade (2007). I stayed up all night sewing Parker's cape and mask. Admittedly, I didn't start sewing his costume until really late on October 30th, and I was freestyling it because I didn't have a pattern, but also, I'm just not a great seamstress. My seam ripper and I got really well-acquainted that night.

Jack was a caveman that year. I sewed his Flintstones get-up out of faux fur from JoAnn's Fabrics. Next, our family consumed an entire bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Tim then cleaned and sterilized the chicken bones, drilled holes through them, and strung them together for a lovely prehistoric-looking necklace. (For the record, I am not a fan of KFC, but we needed the bones, and we needed them fast. Desperate times called for desperate measures.) I think that necklace was Jack's favorite part of the costume. He went to the school and told everybody that it was made out of real bones. When I went up to the school for the costume parade, several teachers and parents came up to me and said, "So, we hear you guys made Jack's necklace out of real bones." Apparently, Jack gave them all an in-depth description of exactly how it was made. He was very proud of his necklace.

After making Parker and Jack's costumes, I was too tired to do much in the way of a costume for Luke. We ended up putting some temporary tattoos on his arms so that he could be a "street tough," although I don't know many street toughs who still use pacifiers. (Well, I guess I don't know many street toughs, period.) I don't know if you can tell, but in that first picture, Luke's got his pacifier in his mouth. It's a dark-colored pacificer, so it blends in with his beard and mustache. Tim was in charge of drawing the face and body hair on Luke and Jack because I was too tired to operate an eyebrow pencil by that time. Maybe Tim was also too tired, because Luke's eyebrows looked a little wonky.

Good times...

1 comment:

Emily Ruth said...

These are so awesome. I love your boys, and I love costumes. Perfect combo!