Friday, May 1, 2009

Rodeo

Our little town hosts a rodeo every year in April. We had been planning for over a year to attend the rodeo this year (it took place April 24-26) with our dear friends, Rick and Rebecca (and their three children), who were going to come stay with us that weekend. About a week before the rodeo, Tim realized that in order to earn all of his required CE credits by the deadline this year, he would need to attend a conference that same weekend up in Berkeley. We were all so disappointed! Rick and Rebecca decided to come another weekend so that they could visit with Tim, too.

I still planned to attend the rodeo on Saturday, although I almost changed my mind. I had a baby shower to go to that morning, Parker and I were both asked to speak in church on Sunday and we needed to work on our talks, and our house was a disaster. There was just too much to do, and I didn't think I could get it all done before the rodeo that evening. I started thinking that maybe the boys and I should stay home and clean the house and work on our talks.

Thankfully, Rebecca called that morning and said, "Hey, we want to come for the rodeo! We know Tim won't be there, but we'll just come for the rodeo and head home when it's over. We would be bummed to miss it and we want to see you guys." Yay! That was just the push I needed to hurry and get things done. I decided the house could just stay messy. (It's messy every other day -- why should that day have been any different?) I finished up the research on my talk and we were almost ready to go when Rick and Rebecca arrived with their children, Dean, Grace, and Isaac.

The evening was replete with good rodeo food (tri-tip burritos, corn on the cob, cowboy beans, and strawberry shortcake), good company, and good rodeo-ing. Rebecca is one of those friends who is like a sister, so getting to spend an evening with her and her family seriously made my month. We have been there for each other over the last 13+ years, and I feel so blessed to have a friend like her. I was with her when she was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and we've supported one another through good times (births of children, her marriage to Rick, new jobs, etc.) and bad. It was a hard day when Tim and I moved from the Bay Area to Central California -- I knew how difficult it was going to be to not get to see Rebecca almost daily. Anyway, I was very glad to get to spend some time with Rebecca and Rick for a few hours at the rodeo.

Thanks, Rebecca and Rick, for saving us from an evening of lameness! We love you guys. And thanks, Rick, for actually bringing a camera. (I can't believe I forgot mine.)

Only three of the six kids sat still long enough for Rick to get pictures -- Parker, Luke, and Isaac. (Jack, Dean, and Grace apparently hid from the camera. So did Rebecca and I.) Next year, we'll have to make sure to get a group shot.

Oh, and a special thanks to my friend, Brook, for loaning me some cowboy boots for the evening and for coming along with us to the rodeo with her three boys. It was fun to have two of my dear friends, Brook and Rebecca, meet. (And Brook, I promise I'll get my own boots before next year's rodeo!)


Luke, acting like a monkey on crack. Get a load of the beans, corn on the cob, and tri-tip burrito.


Parker and Isaac, chillin' on the bench.



Luke and Isaac. Luke is literally kicking up his heel (and sticking out his tongue) for some reason. Notice how well-behaved Isaac is.

4 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

So Fun! You know I'm jealous...

Luisa said...

Em, you guys should come up for the rodeo next year. You could see Rebecca again and meet Rick and her cute kids. It would be so fun. We've got room.

I hope you had a great time at Sea World for your birthday!

Natalie said...

Does this mean I'll need to get some cowboy boots before next April? =)

Luisa said...

Natalie, the answer to that question is YES! When you get here, we'll go boot shopping. (Brook says that Justin brand boots are the best.)