Saturday, June 13, 2009

Time

Seventeen years ago today, I met my husband for the first time when we went on a blind date.

When he came to my apartment to pick me up that evening, the first thing I noticed about him was his eyelashes -- they are freakishly thick, dark, and long. So unfair. I was a sucker for gorgeous eyelashes, so I pretty much didn't stand a chance.

I was playing the flute on my friend's organ recital that night at BYU, so Tim picked me up and we drove to the Harris Fine Arts Center on campus. Tim had to sit and listen to me warm up on my flute for a while, and I remember worrying that he would be bored out of his mind as I played Moyse's "De La Sonorite" Exercise 1 (a very effective warm-up which I imagine is extremely boring to listen to).

My friend (Tyler Vance) and I played Noel-Gallon's "Recueillement" for flute and organ, which is a soothing, heavenly piece to perform. Then Tim and I enjoyed the rest of Tyler's recital.

(As a side note, any of you in the McCall, Idaho area may witness Tyler in action at the McCall Community Congregational Church. http://mccallucc.org/Director_of_Music.html Tyler is doing many great things there.)

After the recital, as we were driving to Olive Garden for dinner, Tim mentioned to me in passing that he had just had a lot of dental work done. When we got to Olive Garden, I ordered this very inexpensive chicken salad, and he told me later that he worried that I ordered it because I was trying to go easy on him since he had just spent a lot of money on said dental work. (I really just liked that particular chicken salad -- I don't think I even noticed the price.)

Anyway, the conversation that evening was good, and it was a fun first date for me. I guess Tim enjoyed the evening, too. We were pretty inseparable after that, with only a couple episodes of "cold feet." We married a little over a year later.

In some ways, that blind date seems like yesterday. In other ways, it feels like a lifetime ago. Time is a funny thing.

8 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

very funnny thing indeed.

Natalie said...

So true. I sometimes think of those days when Brian and I first started dating and it seems like forever ago and yet like it was just yesterday.

lara said...

Lovely. I think we both had our first dates with prospective husbands at the same place, i.e. the Madsen?
Or maybe not. I heard that organists don't like that organ.

I love the chicken salad story.

Luisa said...

Lara, Tyler's recital was in the Madsen Recital Hall. (It was his sophomore recital, so maybe he didn't get much say as to where it was held.) It appears that we did have our first dates with our prospective husbands at the same place. :-) Cool.

mommatree said...

I love to her that story, and read it. :) Thanks for posting it!

mommatree said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Luisa said...

Sorry, mommatree didn't write anything terrible that I had to delete. Her comment just posted two times for some reason. :-)

mommatree said...

You've always got my back.